Friday, April 8, 2011

Factor that up my cool points....

There are somethings I noticed everytime I am out in Shanghai....and these things actually make people take a second look at me, change their first impression, and become even more friendly than before...

Factor 1: I grew up in New York...  To the chinese, growing up in a foreign country represents intelligence and class.. I suddenly become more interesting to talk to once they find out the location of my upbringing. SO here I thank my mother for raising me in New York

Factor 2: I can't write chinese....... This has more of a negative tone to it... I usually get 'Chinese is so important', 'Oh you weren't taught when you were younger?'.... hmph... but to compensate for the slightly condescending sentences, I get...''But you speak so well, that's what matters'.

Factor 3: My stepfather is Italian and we have family in Italy... This headline usually breaks many ice surfaces. We go on talking about the Italian people, the freshness of the food, the cobblestone streets, mountain top cities, quality of the small vineyards, the sun of tuscany... oh gosh.. the list goes on and on... thanks John!

Factor 4: 'This is Danny's daughter'.... Never in my life did I imagine diameter of my father's social circle. Although now he is at the brink of turning 50, he's still known on Shanghai Tang..... AND Sanya.. AND beijing.. and im pretty sure Kumin.. I just have to get there to find out how easy life will get once they know my father's name. I guess this is just an example of the whole 'Guan Xi (connections)'.

No comments:

Post a Comment